Home
ExcelCalcs
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
bolt loads (1 viewing) (1) Guest
You can request specific calculations in this area. Hopefully someone in the ExcelCalcs community can help.
Go to bottom Favoured: 0
TOPIC: bolt loads
richard22222 (User)
Egg (Fresh Boarder)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
bolt loads 7 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Hello

I am looking for some ideas for calculations on sealing heat exchanger covers. At the moment I am using the m & y Values to get the minimum to seal.

But this really does not give me the final answer, anybody any ideas

Regards

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
JohnDoyle[Admin] (Admin)
Mechanical Engineer.
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male MoreVision Location: LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE, UK Birthdate: 1965-02-24
Re:bolt loads 7 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 494  
Sorry I have not got back sooner but you should take a look at this calculation for bolted joints. You can design a joint so that it stays clamped up to a certain pressure. It is usual to design a joint to leak at an over load pressure following a "leak before burst" design principle.

You will find a very useful calculation here:
Detailed Bolted Joint Calculations.xls

There is also a useful video tutorial which accompanies a simpler joint calculation.

I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Logged Logged  

Nick1729 (User)
Egg (Fresh Boarder)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:bolt loads 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
You will find a detailed calculation in Handbook of Pressure Vessels -Dennis Moss page 61 "Calculations". Please note that under "Decreasing compression force on gasket", Ib is actually bolt length.(not shown under notation on page 59) It seems that the excel sheet for bolted joint calculation on this site do not suffice for torque/tensioning of flanges under pressure due to many reasons( various type of gasktes lead to different torques, temperature, internal pressure in vessel, etc.)

Logged Logged  
JohnDoyle[Admin] (Admin)
Mechanical Engineer.
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male MoreVision Location: LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE, UK Birthdate: 1965-02-24
Re:bolt loads 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 494  
Nick I believe that 'Detailed Bolted Joint Calculations.xls' would be a good starting point for sealing calculations on pipes and pressure vessels. As you suggest the Handbook of Pressure Vessels by Dennis Moss provides an excellent guide to follow. It should be possible to account for different gaskets, temperature and internal pressure in vessels. The calculation uses XLC to present formulas as mathematical equations so hopefully the calculation method is tranparent and therefore relatively easy to modify.

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2012/05/29 09:04 By JohnDoyle[Admin].

Go to top
We have 10 guests and 42 members online
Contact Us
post/emailEmail (preferred method of contact)
telephone US +1 617 5008224
telephone EU +44 113 8152220
Our Feeds
Repository RSS. Forum RSS. User Comment RSS. News RSS.

Real Time Analytics