Steel Detailing Guide - Wrench and socket Clearance
Includes details for bolting clearances for below list :
OPEN JAW WRENCHES
SINGLE ENDED OPEN JAW SLUGGING WRENCHES
SOCKET WRENCH AND OPEN WRENCH
SINGLE ENDED BI HEXAGONAL SLUGGING WRENCHES
SOCKETS-MANUAL & Impact
A description of the types of wrenches you've listed:
Open Jaw Wrenches:
- These wrenches have jaws that are open at one end. They are versatile for gripping nuts and bolts in tight spaces.
Single Ended Open Jaw Slugging Wrenches:
- Similar to open jaw wrenches, these are designed for heavy-duty applications. The term 'slugging' suggests they are capable of handling high impact or slugging forces.
Socket Wrench and Open Wrench:
- This likely refers to a combination tool that has both a socket wrench (which uses socket attachments) and an open wrench (with a fixed-width open end).
Single Ended Bi-Hexagonal Slugging Wrenches:
- These wrenches have a bi-hexagonal (12-point) configuration at the open end, providing more points of contact with the nut or bolt. Like the single-ended slugging wrenches, these are designed for heavy-duty applications.
Sockets - Manual & Impact:
- Sockets are designed to fit onto a socket wrench or impact wrench. Manual sockets are for hand-operated wrenches, while impact sockets are built to withstand the higher torque produced by impact wrenches.
- These wrenches have a closed ring at both ends, providing a more secure grip on the fastener. They are suitable for situations where the wrench needs to be repeatedly repositioned.
- T-handle wrenches have a T-shaped handle for a comfortable grip and increased torque. They are commonly used in situations where higher torque is required, and they provide good leverage.
Each type of wrench serves specific purposes, and having a variety in your toolkit allows you to handle different tasks and challenges effectively.
Full download access to any calculation is available to users with a paid or awarded subscription (XLC Pro).
Subscriptions are free to contributors to the site, alternatively they can be purchased.
Click here for information on subscriptions.