"PRYING9" is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of analysis for prying action in structural steel connections per the AISC 9th Edition (ASD) Code, pages 4-89 to 4-95. Specifically, bolt tension and bolt shear are checked, and the prying force and required thickness are determined.
This program is a workbook consisting of three (3) worksheets, described as follows:
- Doc - Documentation sheet
- Prying Action - Prying action analysis for connections per AISC 9th Edition (ASD) Manual
- Allowable Tension Force - Allowable axial tension force at beam connection from bending due to prying
Program Assumptions and Limitations:
1. The Prying Action worksheet is valid for connections subjected to tension only, or to a combination of tension and shear.
2. The Prying Action worksheet is only applicable for connection bolt diameters from 1/2” to 1-1/2 “
3. The Prying Action worksheet is only applicable for ASTM A325 or A490 high-strength connection bolts.
4. The Prying Action worksheet is applicable to connection bolts in bearing with threads included in shear plane(N) or threads excluded from shear plane (X), as well as bolts in a slip critical connection (SC).
5. The Prying Action worksheet is applicable to connections with either standard or oversized bolt holes.
6. The Prying Action worksheet also takes fatigue effects into account when required to reduce the allowable bolt tension stress.
7. The Allowable Tension Force worksheet has any applicable assumptions and limitations listed directly below the tables of values.
8. This program contains numerous “comment boxes” which contain a wide variety of information including explanations of input or output items, equations used, data tables, etc. (Note: presence of a “comment box” is denoted by a “red triangle” in the upper right-hand corner of a cell. Merely move the mouse pointer to the desired cell to view the contents of that particular "comment box".)
18 Jun 2008
This download is for Registered Users Only.
Perhaps you need to login or register.