"PLATECAP" is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of determining the gross tension and compression axial load capacities of single plates. The results of the calculations are presented in a tabular format.
This program is a workbook consisting of two (2) worksheets, described as follows:
Worksheet Name - Description
Doc - Documentation sheet
Plate Axial Load Capacities - Determine axial load capacities for single plates
Program Assumptions and Limitations:
1. This program follows the procedures and guidelines of the AISC 9th Edition Allowable Stress (ASD) Manual (1989).
2. This program assumes that the axial load, tension or compression, is distributed uniformly on the plate gross cross-section.
3. The user may create "custom" tables by inputing the desired values of plate heights and plate thicknesses.
4. The user may clear contents of any input cells located within tables as desired.
5. Typical use for this program would be for quick analysis of capacity of beam tabs or bracing gusset plates.
6. This program contains “comment boxes” which contain information including explanations of input items, etc. (Note: presence of a “comment box” is denoted by a “red triangle” in the upper right-hand corner of a cell. Merely move the mouse pointer to the desired cell to view the contents of that particular "comment box".)
AISC 9th Edition Allowable Stress (ASD) Manual (1989)